I have finally finished this motherfucking blanket. It’s about six feet in diameter. It has definitely picked up an odor (damn you, acrylic yarn!). Nothing some Downy won’t fix. I think I need to take it on a world tour now so everyone who I know who’s seen me knit it can see it in the flesh.
It was supposed to be a baby blanket, but I just kept knitting until I ran out of yarn. So it’s six feet or so. Jesus.
I said mine didn’t really look like what it was while it was on the needles. I wasn’t lying.
People kept asking me what it was and playing the annoying game of guessing what I was making. It did look like a Rasta hat for a giant. It didn’t help that I had 28 markers, 14 for the increases and 14 for the decreases, and they were different colors. I’ve never in my life used ready-made markers. I’ve always made my own out of yarn. That’s how I was taught. The increases end up with black yarn crocheted down between them to make the rays for the web.
I’m not too pleased with the crochet, but I didn’t care enough to do it again. My knitting is far superior to my crochet. The knitting itself is decent, but not great. I did a lot of it in the dark. I’m happy with the paired increases; I remembered to do them in opposite directions. You can kind of see it in the above picture. I did mess up quite a bit, but whatevs. Quite a few cultures put mistakes in on purpose because only god(s) can do things perfectly. So I can pull a Pee Wee Herman and be all, “I meant to do that.”
I’m quite pleased with how I wove the ends in. I used this technique that allows you to weave the ends in while you are knitting. That’s right; you don’t have to go back and weave them in after you’re done. See how neatly they’re in there? No knots! I weave them in for a long time, because I want it to be a really tight join (baby blanket = rough use). So the backside of the blanket is actually pretty attractive.
I am also pleased I took the time to put on an applied i-cord border. It’s nice and cuddly and squishy and it looks really good. I love i-cord borders for blankets. Kind of wish I hadn’t abutted a purl row of black with the blue, but no use crying over spilled milk now.
It goes from my neck to my feet. It really is huge.
It’s a present for someone whose baby was born in October. Of last year. I meant to have it to her by October! Sheesh, Seer. I also meant it to be just a little over crib size, but now it’ll be perfect for his first bed. She has no idea that I have this for her. It’ll be a huge surprise, given that the baby is over eight months old now.
Someone else I know wants one of these for herself. She’s just going to have to wait awhile. I can’t stand looking at red and blue yarn again just yet.
Pattern available here. It’s free. It isn’t hard. But blankets can get a little tedious, especially when they get a bit big. Don’t get mad at me if you get tired of it!